Sunday, March 11, 2012

Solution for "Windows Scripting Host: Can't find a script engine 'javascript'"

Problem
Using TortoiseSVN's 'Edit Conflicts' on conflicts in DOCX files, used to throw up a message box with a text similar to:
Windows Script Host: Can't find a script engine "javascript" for C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\Diff-Scripts\merge-docx.js
Solution
To solve this problem, I initially thought the problem was with TortoiseSVN. Was I barking up the wrong tree!

Turns out that the problem is related to Windows Script Host and the solution is much simpler:

  1. Open a Command Prompt with Administrative privileges (cmd)
  2. Simply enter

    regsvr32 jscript.dll
  3. There isn't a 3rd step :-)
Blogging my solution as I didn't find a straight forward answer to my problem. Hope you find it useful.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! This worked for me when I got the same error, except it was for "diff-doc.js". Glad it was a simple solution, thanks for posting this!

    - Meghan

    ReplyDelete